Hey friends, welcome back!
If you remember in our blog post how to make money online, 8 ways to create a side hustle. We promised to chat about affiliate marketing for beginners.
Just to give you a little background from our experience. Back in 2015, we decided to create a blog about our journey through entrepreneurship but we never thought of the idea of using affiliate marketing on our blog. We first learned about affiliate marketing after watching a few YouTube videos of Stefan James owner of Project Life Mastery. Hearing his story and journey from becoming a multi-millionaire from online marketing in 3yrs made us look into affiliate marketing.
In our first year of blogging, we made a lot of mistakes. We spent hours on editing and hustled every day to make sure to post at least twice a week or every week. Now, let’s just make things clear, we are not 6 figured earners in this industry yet, but we have experience that we would like to share with you, on how to use affiliate marketing with other methods of make money online.
Related Article: How to Start a Blog?
What is Affiliate Marketing?
It’s a philosophy of marketing but also a common way to make money online. There are different styles of marketing, E-mail marketing, Telemarketing, Celebrity Marketing, Trade show marketing, Network marketing and etc… What is affiliate marketing? Marketing your products or services you recommend to people (your blog audience, followers or people you know). Note there are affiliate links in this post. Please read our disclosure for more info.
Before we go further on the topic lets take a step back…
How do you really make money online?
There are two essentially ways to make money online:
- You can sell or promote your own products and services
- You can sell or promote someone else products and services and get paid for it.
Learn how to market products before creating your own!
FYI – From what we have learned eventually you want to sell your own products and services if you want to earn six-figures or more.
There are 3 Steps to Affiliate Marketing
- You recommend a product or service to your followers or friends
- Your followers or friends click the affiliate link you sent or direct them to.
- Your followers or friends purchase a product or service through the affiliate link and you get a commission from those purchases.
How does Affiliate Marketing Work?
- You can have a website, a blog, an e-mail list or be a social media influencer (Millionaire Mentor or Stefan James) were you have an authority and people listen to what you have to say.
- You partnered up with a company to become an affiliate also referred as an associate, partner, or Internet marketer. Note, any one can be an affiliate and the process is simple to sign up.
- You will promote the product or services. This can be done by referring a product or service through blogging, placing banner ads on your website, using buttons, mentioning through social media or your email list. Next, you will send your followers or audience to a link. Not just any link but an affiliate link (which has an ID number attached to link). This link was given to you by the company you partner up with and is unique to you.
- Your followers will click the link to see what you are referring and decide to purchase the product or service.
- The purchase is complete than you earn a commission for it.
- Depending on the company you partner up with to earn a commission check, your threshold will have to reach $100 or more to get a paid out.
Related Article: Making Sense of Affiliate Marketing
Can I build more than one website?
Yes, but you don’t want to fall into building dozens of niche sites. In affiliate marketing, there are sites that are built for specific niches. With the hopes to have an authority site in Google, some affiliate marketers will build around 20 or more mini-sites. This can be stressful and very competitive. This method is also out dated.
Good example of Affiliates that build a Brand
People like Stefan James owner of Project Life Mastery, believe instead of building 20 or more niche sites, you should build a brand where people will follow you. Build a relationship with your followers by being genuine in helping others. This can only be done through consistency, serving and adding a tremendous amount of value, putting your followers or subscribers first. He should know, Stefan built a multi-million dollars brand by following these steps. He’s not the only one. Just one to name a few below.
The original don dada of Making Money Online, Mr. Pat Flynn owner of Smart Passive Income, Pat has built healthy living from affiliate marketing and continues to build a massive following.
Michelle is the owner of Making Sense of Cents. Michelle has built a 6-figure income from blogging in 6yrs. Michelle niche is all about finance and making money online. Her primary income was affiliate marketing until she launched her own digital product.
Melyssa A Griffin is the queen when it comes to making money online. Melyssa recently hit the 7 figured mark from selling her own digital project. She went from being a teacher to becoming a beast to online marketing.
Tim Ferris also the author of the #1 New York Times best-selling book, The Four hour workweek is known for promoting high-end affiliate products. Tim is an angle investor and he also has a podcast called The Tim Ferris Show. Check it out!
This is just to name a few but all have built a brand and a following by giving a large amount of value.
Related Article: How much do bloggers really make in a year?
Important things to remember before becoming an Affiliate:
- Always tell your readers you are using affiliate links (Affiliate Disclosure).
Choose only products and services you will use or highly recommend. Always look for the best products and not just refer to get a commission. Remember you are here to serve and help others.
- Choose products and services that relate to your niche. If your site is about loosing weight and you promote how to get a loan, you’ll look like you have no clue from what you’re doing. You’ll also look like a spammer. You DO NOT want that kind of reputation. This will hurt you in the long run.
- You should always know the Terms and Service for the programs. For an example some companies do not allow you to send link to your subscribers through emails or post. So be aware of what’s the do’s and don’ts when getting started.
What are some affiliate programs I can join?
When looking for affiliate programs it can be overwhelming, there are many affiliate networks. Some are easy to join, some requires you to apply, and some are by invitations only. We recommend you look around to find the one that’s fit you.
Here are a few Affiliate Networks we’re apart of.
Does Affiliate Marketing really works?
We would say yes but only if you are providing value and that’s what a lot of people are lacking.
There are several of steps you would have to take before you can see money from affiliate marketing.
- Remember, you have to get people to your site.
- People would have to read your content.
- People would have to click your affiliate link, which mean taking action. FYI – Some affiliate links only last up to 48hrs, which mean an expiration time for cookies.
- Last and most important the person going through your site, reading your content, click your affiliate link, must NOW purchase your product or service.
So, does affiliate marketing work? Most defiantly! But it takes work, time and some patients.
What can affiliate marketing teach you?
- It teaches you how to sell
- If you can sell an affiliate product, you can sell your own products
- The sale process of building a relationship with others.
- Eventually, at the end you will learn it’s better to sell your own products than to just promote someone else.
If you still having trouble understanding affiliate marketing or how to maximize your profit, we highly recommend the affiliates we mentioned above. You have to remember, It all going to be unique to you and your blog. Never stop trying new things and never stop learning. For more info about ways to make additional income, read our post How to make money online.
- How to start a blog (Beginners Guide)
- How to create a profitable blog (Beginners Guide)
- How to Make Money online
We hope you enjoyed reading this blog post, until the next time!
P.S. If you want to learn more about affiliate marketing we recommend Michelle eCourse Making Sense of Affiliate Marketing. Michelle has earned over $50,000 through affiliate marketing per month and has a proven system to show you how. Check out her blog income report on her blog. All we can say that we have learned so much taking this course and we are sure it will do the same for you.
P.S.S. From Thursday, October 26th to Monday, October 30th (it will end at 11:59 p.m. PT), you can use coupon code FALLSALE2017 so that you can receive $28 off the course. This will make the course $169 after the discount. Take advantage of this huge discount!!!
Please leave us your feedback or a comment as we appreciate our audience, Thank you again for reading this post. Until next time, Happy Reading!!